Winter is upon us and – just like most humans – insects and rodents do not like it in the cold. December pest control keeps pests outside!
For the pests that have been kicked out of the neighbor’s house or the few that are still searching for a winter home, make sure it isn’t yours!
Often times we are our own worst enemy. With daily activities, we may unintentionally post welcome signs around our home!
December is an especially busy month, preparing for family visits, decorating for holidays, and filled with the excitement of little ones!
December Pest Control Checklist
Things to Check During Holiday Preparation
- Christmas Trees – whether they are fresh cut or artificial, take care when bringing them into the house! Often times there are pests hiding out so that they can enjoy the holidays in the warmth of your home. When unpacking the tree that has been stored all year, open and inspect it outside!
- Ticks – Did you go searching in the forest for the perfect tree? If so, unless the temps were BELOW freezing, ticks are still active.
- Pantry Pests – When purchasing all those ingredients for baking holiday sweets, be sure to take precautions as often these pests are in the goods purchased. Finding creepy crawlies in the flour, sugar, chocolate, or oats is enough to ruin your baking festivities with the kids! But placing these items in the freezer for 72 hours will kill them.
- Insect Life – When opening the stored boxes with holiday decor, do so outside … carefully! Look for webs and signs of insect life!
Common Winter Intruders
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs
- Long-horned Beetles & Bark Beetles (hiding in firewood)
- Humpback Crickets
- Pantry Pests (weevils, Indian meal moths, sawtooth grain beetles and grain mites, etc)
- Cluster Flies
- Mice, rats, and squirrels!
If you are finding visitors that are not your friends or relatives, call a professional pest management team like Croach® for an inspection and plan of attack!
Related: Boxelder Bugs are a Winter Nuisance
Free Pest Inspection