How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Portland
Portland is ranked among the top 50 U.S. cities with the highest bed bug infestations. A home infested with bedbugs has nothing to do with cleanliness. Bed bugs feast on blood (human and animal) as their only food source.
Getting rid of bed bugs is a challenge. You may have tried over-the-counter pesticides or home remedies, but these tiny pests are nearly indestructible. In fact, some illnesses connected to DIY pest control are because of the misuse of chemicals.
Over the years, bed bugs have developed a resistance to toxins, including most pesticides, making bed bug extermination difficult, but not impossible.
Croach® provides licensed, experienced bed bug control services in Portland, Beaverton, Vancouver, Gresham, Happy Valley, Hillsboro, Tigard, Salem, Albany, Corvallis, King City, and surrounding communities.Request a Free Estimate
The Dangers Caused by Bed Bugs
Though bed bugs do not carry diseases, they still pose health risks.
- Allergic reactions (from mild to severe) and secondary skin infections from itching the bed bug bites.
- Sleep deprivation, insomnia, anxiety, stress, and depression also affect your mental health.
- Your pets don’t know they should refrain from scratching bites, and will often scratch their skin until its raw and bleeding, causing infection.
- Bed bugs aggravates respiratory problems such as asthma. They shed their skin casings and leave trails of feces, both of which dry out and become airborne.
How to Check for Bed Bugs
An adult bedbug measures only 5 millimeters long – about the size of an eraser on a pencil or an apple seed. You can see them with the naked eye, but these pests conceal themselves in the light of day.
Bedbugs hide in dark crevices near where people sleep such as under couch cushions, the seams of a reclining chair, or beneath the mattress on your bed. As the population grows, they will spread 10 to 20 feet away to hide in nightstands, end tables, and baseboards.
It is easier to look for the signs of bed bugs:
- Blood stains on your sheets, pillowcase, pajamas, mattress, bed frame, or walls.
- Bed bug feces that appears as dark brown spots. Also look for egg casings and shed skin casings in seams, cracks, and crevices.
- Itchy red bumps on your skin (bed bug bites) or frequent morning fatigue.
How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
Most DIY methods are not safe, such as spraying your body with insect repellent before bed. People try pest repellents meant for outside use that put your family at risk. Or bombs and foggers that only force bed bugs into harder-to-reach hiding places.
If you find bed bugs, you can wash all of your bedding, clothing, and other fabrics at the highest heat setting for at least 20 minutes or seal them in plastic bags and freeze them. But this won’t exterminate the entire population.
Getting rid of bed bugs is a job for licensed professionals. Inspect your sleeping areas for signs of bed bugs and alert Croach if you suspect an infestation.
How to Prevent Bed Bugs from Infesting Your Home
Follow these tips from Croach and the Oregon Health Authority to avoid a bed bug infestation in the first place and to maintain a pest-free environment after we eradicate them.
- Vacuum frequently to include all sides of your mattress, bed frame, and headboard. Use a crevice tool to reach cracks in baseboards and furniture, and the deep seams of couches and chairs.
- Don’t place or store luggage, tote bags or purses, or other travel items in rooms or near areas where you sleep.
- Clean regularly with soap and water, remove clutter, and watch for the signs of bed bugs, including feces and skin casings. The sooner you notice them, the easier it will be to destroy them.
Travel is linked to many bed bug infestations. Bedbugs hitch a ride home in your belongings or on your clothing. You can search for reports of bed bugs at Portland area hotels on the bedbugregistry.com or bedbugreports.com websites.
Call in the Bed Bug Experts
Bed bugs can stay hidden in your home for years, sucking your blood and causing you sleepless nights. They are also resistant to most DIY extermination methods.
Croach Pest Control provides a safe and effective solution to Portland area bed bugs. Schedule a free inspection.Request a Free Estimate
Portland, Oregon Service Area
We serve the Portland, Oregon area including Albany, Battle Ground, Beaverton, Camas, Clackamas, Corvallis, Estacada, Forest Grove, Gresham, Happy Valley, Hillsboro, King City, Longview, McMinnville, Newberg, Oregon City, Portland, Ridgefield, Salem, Scappoose, Tigard, Troutdale, Tualatin, Vancouver, Wilsonville, and Woodburn.